Monday, July 17, 2006

Click Here! Writers' Helpers Edition

There's Kath--riding her pony back from her beachly travels. She'll be back tomorrow, and I can honestly say I have a brand new appreciation for having a partner on this site. Buddies/ partners/ helpers are great, and so this week's Click Here is all about helper sites on the 'net. Enjoy!

First of all, a MEME for WU: We've been added to the Preditors and Editors site as a RECOMMENDED visit for serious writers. How cool is that? So now I have some authority when I say, Writer Unboxed should be your first stop when you're looking for a helper site (I know, I know--I'm preaching to the choir).

Want a business card without spending oodles of cash? Design your business cards for FREE at Vista Print. Choose from 42 designs.

Do you tend to use the same words over and over again? Check out the Web Frequency Indexer, where you can cut-paste a segment of your wip to check on frequently used words. Click their process button and get a run down on how many times you use the same words over and over again.

Want to learn how much moola an author might make from various publishing houses? Check out Brenda Hiatt's comprehensive list Show me the Money! available at Karen Fox's website.

Stay with me now...

If you're an author interested in tracking your rank at Amazon.com, check out Rank Forest, a site that makes it easy!

The Truth About Publishing by Ian Irvine provides an enlightening (and sometimes depressing) view of the publishing industry. And here's another great article: Coaching Creativity: 7 Lessons from Artists by Susan Falter-Barns.

Do you have a winning title for your story? Check out Lulu’s Titlescorer program to find out.

Okay, you have a winning title, but is that winning title original? I love Amaztype’s cool program – plug in the title of your book and Amazon.com searches for all book titles with those words, then artistically presents them to using your own book title as the template.

Real Tech News has some great tips re: shortcuts you can take using Windows key combos. These include how to shortcut your way into closing document windows, displaying the START menu and more. Check it here.

Catalog your books online with Library Thing. Connect with others who read the same things you do by entering your current reading list or your entire library.

Write on, all!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tess said...

Congrats on the reccie from P&E! Doesn't surprise me :-)

And I second your recommendation of Library Thing. I LOVE IT!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Therese Walsh said...

Thanks, Tess! I'm glad you're liking Click Here, Thea! :) T

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home